There are two ‘Where to watch birds’ guides in the English Language which cover the East and North East of Germany and its Baltic coast. The first one covers the city of Berlin and the surrounding State of Brandenburg, up to the Polish border. The second book covers the area to the north of Brandenburg up to and including the Baltic coast and Islands. Both books describe the best sites with detailed maps, and the likely species and provide suggested itineraries.
A Birdwatching Guide to Brandenburg and Berlin 2012 ISBN 9780957169500 RRP £19.95 covers the State of Brandenburg in east Germany and the city of Berlin.
Best ‘where to watch birds’ I have seen (Ibis).
Beautifully produced Birding Guide (Birding World).
This wonderful book… (Buteo Books).
Excellent site and species summaries (Birdwatch Magazine).
Excellent New Guide (Amazon).
Well-researched and clear guide (BTO).
A very good guide (Fatbirder).
Practical and very pleasing layout (Alauda).
The right level of detail (Dutch Birding).
For visitors to Berlin, this new guide is indispensable (American Birding Association).
- Describes 110 sites with detailed information on access, habitat and species.
- 92 coloured maps and 62 photographs.
- Calendar of seasonal highlights.
- Tips on finding sought-after specialties such as White-tailed Eagle, Lesser Spotted Eagle, Great Bustard, Little Crake, Spotted Crake, Thrush Nightingale, Icterine, Marsh and River Warbler.
- The best sites for seeing thousands of wintering geese and for witnessing the huge autumn Crane roosts.
- Suggested itineraries and recommendations on where to stay in this exciting but under recognized region.
A Guide to the north east of Germany was published 16 March 2015:
A Birdwatching Guide to North East Germany and its Baltic Coast 2015 ISBN 9780957169517 rrp £17.95
It covers the State of Mecklenburg-Vorpommern in the north east of Germany plus the Baltic island of Fehmarn in the neighbouring State of Schleswig Holstein.
This is now out of print (September 2017)
- Over 70 major sites in Mecklenburg-Vorpommern and the Baltic islands off the German coast.
- Detailed information on access, including GPS.
- Description of habitat and species.
- Bird and site photographs throughout.
- Detailed colour maps for all the main sites.
- Tips on finding specialities such as Smew, Long-tailed Duck, Lesser Spotted Eagle, Whiskered Tern, Thrush Nightingale, Red-breasted Flycatcher and Common Rosefinch.
- Species lists in German and in English.
- Suggested itineraries and advice on where to stay.
This is an excellent Guide………great feel of quality (Fatbirder)
It is beautifully designed with regards to text, maps and photos of the area (Dutch Birding)
Well-written and beautifully illustrated, with clear maps and instructions.. (Morning Star)
…buy the book and come to visit – you will not be disappointed (British Birds)
an outstanding guide and a model of its kind (Devon Birds)
A beautifully clear and easy to use map for every site (BTO news)
This book has convinced me that I should go to this part of Germany (Scottish Birds)
Roger White’s new guide will prove immensely useful to English speaking birders exploring Germany’s most out of the way corners (Birding (USA) Dec 2015
Handy, consistently successful and recommended book (Der Falke)
..fundamentally of the same high standard as White’s first book (Ibis)
Other information sources.
Wagner and Moning Voegelbeobachten in Ostdeutschland (2009) ISBN 9783440111291 Kosmos
This is a fully illustrated, comprehensive guide in the German language to the five major States of eastern Germany. However, it does not include any sites in Berlin.
Fatbirder has descriptions of the individual German States and their bird-life, and lists tour reports.
http://www.Ornith.de A website covering ornithology in the whole of Germany, with separate sections and sightings for each Federal State
http://www.OAMV.de Ornithology in Mecklenburg-Vorpommern . Sighting records are mainly from the east of the State
http://www.Orni BB-Ornii BB.de is a website for members only, covering Brandenburg and Berlin.
Ryslavy T, Haupt H and Beschow R. Die Brutvoegel in Brandenburg und Berlin – Ergebnisse der ADEBAR-Kartierung 2005-2009. Otis Band 19 – 2011 ABBO.
Die Vogelwelt von Brandenburg und Berlin (2001) Natur & Text
Eichstaedt W et al. Atlas der Brutvoegel in Mecklenburg-Vorpommern (2005) OAMV
Dittberner W. Die Vogelwelt des Nationalparks Unteres Odertal (2014) Natur & Text
Voekler F. Zweiter Brutvogelatlas des Landes Mecklenburg-Vorpommern (2014) [The second breeding bird atlas]
Atlas Deutscher Brutvogelarten (2014) This is an atlas of breeding birds for the whole of Germany